WHO WE ARE
O.D. Aid is a grassroots group of concerned civilians in Fort Worth, Texas who want to help our community prevent fatal drug overdoses.
Many of us have loved ones who struggle with addiction or have lost someone we love to overdose.
We have no official affiliations, funding, or alternative motivations than real, achievable goals:
- education on how to recognize and reverse overdoses,
- mutual support for addicted individuals and their loved ones,
- and distribution of naloxone free of charge to the most vulnerable drug users in Fort Worth who may not be able to afford the medication today.
- In 2016, two-thirds of the 64,000 overdose deaths in the U.S. were caused by opioids (CDC).
- According to the New York Times, estimates show overdose deaths surpassed a new high of 72,000 in 2017.
The opioid crisis is growing nationwide with deadly effect. Rather than wait for responses from policymakers through public health initiatives, community response has become an effective form of intervention to reducing overdose deaths.
Opioid overdose mortality presents a solvable public health problem and is reversible through the timely administration of a medication called naloxone accompanied by emergency care.
People with training and access to naloxone can effectively prevent deaths from overdose. We can empower our communities without the help of official agencies or politicians and become capable of recognizing and responding to opioid overdoses.
Here in Fort Worth, we are hosting free overdose prevention trainings, distributing naloxone, and finding ways to support vulnerable drug-using populations in an effort to save lives.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Talk with your community openly, honestly and compassionately about drug use. Stigma is one of the biggest barriers to seeking and getting help.
- Keep naloxone or Narcan in your medicine cabinet and your workplace and learn how to use it in case of an emergency: it's first aid.
- Fill out a volunteer interest form to get involved with our efforts, and donate to support the mission of saving lives.
- Check out our resources page for more information.
NEED NALOXONE IN FORT WORTH?
Please contact us! (DFW pickup/delivery only, we cannot mail kits.)